Sunday 19 October 2014

As long as there are writers there will be tigers



TIGER, TIGER, FADING FAST…

A Play in Two Scenes

Cast of Characters



HON’BLE MINISTER FOR COMMUNITY

HEALTH AND TIGER PROJECT,SHRI
RAMDHUN PRASAD:                                  A fat well-fed man of indeterminate middle-age, always in a hurry, unable to hold his temper.

SURYAPRAKASH RAO, CHIEF

CONSERVATOR OF FORESTS:                  A wiry older man with graying hair, calm, sure of himself

P.YUGANDHAR,D.F.O.:                               Young, callow, anxious to please higher ups

BAHADUR SINGH,I.F.S.:                             A old Conservator of Forests

MEENA KUMARI,PRINCIPAL,
LADIES JUNIOR COLLEGE:                       A large determined lady

JENEKA AHRENS:                                       Head of Dutch Health Delegation

SHYAMLAL:                                                 P.S. to Minister

SHILPA:                                                         A XI Class student

PRATIMA:                                                     A XI Class student

HEERA:                                                          A XI Class student

MADHU:                                                        A XI Class student

APARNA:                                                       A XI Class student

Sundry Forest Department Officials, Rangers, Attenders, as
well as Ladies Junior College Staff, and students of XI
Class





Scene


Conference Room in the Forest Department, and later
Lecture Hall in Ladies Junior College

Time


The present

THE SETTING:                                             The main Conference Room in the Forest Department. In the centre is a long table, made up of three tables put together and covered by a red table-cloth. Chairs are ranged round the table, with thick files on the table in front of every chair. Pictures of Indira Gandhi, Rajiv Gandhi, Sonia Gandhi hang on back wall. Below pictures, a banner reads: CONF. ROOM FOREST DEPT.
An air of bustle, attenders leave after a last flick of the duster;  officials come in,  wearing bush shirts and trousers, and seat themselves round the table; some feverishly going through stacks of files, others doodling on pads, and some drinking copious glasses of water.

ATTENDER[rushing in]‘Minster Sahib’ is here!

[As he exits, the MINISTER,followed by CHIEF CONSERVATOR,  enter talking. The MINISTER is dressed in faultless white khadi kurta pyjama and Gandhi cap; the CHIEF CONSERVATOR
in gray safari suit]

MINISTER[ his voice slowly rises to a crescendo] I am holding Independent Charge of a number of Important portfolios: I am handling the Prime Minister’s Tsunami Fund; the Late Jawaharlal Nehru’s Housing Scheme for Widows; the Late Indira Gandhi’s Adopt a Village Plan for Corporates; the Late Rajiv Gandhi’s Drinking Water Programme for Tribals; and Project Tiger. When I ask to see Tsunami victims, I am  submerged in a sea of them; when I look around for villages to be given in adoption, there are half a million; there is no shortage of widows or tribals, either. But when I ask you high-paid forest conservators to show me one tiger – just one tiger – you turn up here with excuses! What do you mean there are no tigers in the Mahatma Gandhi Tiger Reserve! We have just spent ten million dollars on it! And the Director of World Wildlife is to visit it next week accompanied by the President herself!  [gathering himself] This looks to me like a political move to discredit me – whoever is doing this – and I can easily get to the bottom of this bad political game – he will suffer, I can promise. [shouting] And you do this to me! I am the Minister who has created more jobs for conservators than anyone else. I said in the Cabinet, I don’t care if there are more conservators than tigers – I want two trailing every tiger, everywhere. And now you do this to me – the keynote speaker of The Global Jungle 2006 Conference in Washington!

BAHADUR SINGH: Sir, We all know the urgency, the importance of the occasion. We have made all arrangements in the Mahatma Gandhi Tiger Reserve. The best cooks have been flown in from Delhi. There will be dances by Tribal girls from Assam. They dance in all important State events, and have received training in tribal dancing in Paris. The Guesthouse is beautifully decorated. But tigers, we could not see. I am an old man, with diabetes and blood pressure. Sir, I walked over every inch of the area in the boiling heat. See, Sir, the blisters on my feet…[removes shoes and socks]

MINISTER[making a face] Arre, bhai, I don’t doubt your sincerity. But tigers are not to be seen by slow old men. They don’t sit on the roadside for photo-ops. They hide. Someone has to pull them out by the tail when the American comes, or, or, I will close down the department. I will outsource the whole job to West India Hotels! If they were in charge, they would have brought tigers from Africa if I had asked them.

THE CHIEF CONSERVATOR: Sir, the poachers, Sir, have played havoc. If you had not permitted that paper company to build those forest roads, Sir, I warned…

MINISTER: Nonsense! Nation building cannot stop just because of some animals, or  careless departmental work. Now, what about that child that was attacked and killed in that village, what was it called, near the Reserve? TV stations made so much fuss. Anyway that shows there was a tiger.

BAHADUR SINGH: Sir, it was a pig that bit the child. Sepsis set in, and since there was no doctor…

MINISTER: A pig! I can’t show a pig to the American!

P.YUGANDHAR[brightly] Sir, I saw a leopard, only two weeks ago, leaping across a glade. It was gone in a flash!

MINISTER[with satisfaction] There! I knew there will be tigers. Enthusiastic young men work! You will go far. Now, tell me, how do you know it was not a tiger? It was gone in a flash. Most probably it was a tiger you saw in the bad light. In a tiger forest there are tigers, not leopards.

P.YUGANDHAR[a little confused] Sir, it was mid-day, Sir. It had spots, Sir, it…

MINISTER: Spots, warts, how do we know? When a tiger leaps, stripes look like spots. Find this tiger; our American guest must see it next week. This must be done, whatever else you people do.
THE CHIEF CONSERVATOR: When Lord Willingdon was Viceroy, he used to go on hunting parties, I believe…

MINISTER[in frozen anger] You are a conservator, Sir, not a manager of a hunting party! My God, I am surrounded by incompetents. You will lose your job, and get the Prime Minister to dismiss me as well. Hunting is banned; you can’t kill a rabbit without getting jailed.[then very slowly] We-must-show-a-tiger-to-this-American, do you understand? Not kill one for sport!

THE CHIEF CONSERVATOR[persisting] My Submission is that there is a solution, if Honourable Minister permits?

MINISTER: Of course, I permit. I know the solution. What is the solution?

THE CHIEF CONSERVATOR: A tiger used to be taken in a special compartment of the Viceroy’s train so that it could be shot at the appropriate spot. In this case, since there is some urgency, and His Excellency the President is also coming, I submit, if Honourable Minister permits, we procure a good tiger from a zoo.

MINISTER[slowly as light dawns] Yes, yes, I leave details to you. I know nothing of all this. But…[wheeling round] you can’t show a tiger on a chain. It must somehow be free, in the jungle.

P.YUGANDHAR[more brightly than before] Sir, we will release it at some distance, and then with some noise chase it towards the road where you and the foreign delegation will be passing!

MINISTER: No! No! You will get us killed. Or my armed ‘Black Cat’ guards will kill it in front of BBC, and CNN cameras. You will finish all of us. How many days of service have you left, before retirement?

THE CHIEF CONSERVATOR[persisting]We will dope the animal, Sir, and lay it under a tree by the roadside. You will all see it…[moves his hands dramatically]You will be silent so as not to wake the tiger. He will be lightly doped, so you will see the tail twitching. I and my staff will duck into covered pits when we hear the cars approach. After Honourable Minister and foreign delegation leave, we will come out, tie up the animal, and take him back to the zoo.

MINISTER[happy at last]: Ah! Suryaprakash Sahib! Excellent idea! Old is gold as always. Young people go to cinemas, do nothing, get lazy. All forest officers must learn from you. Make sure it is a good looking animal. And, mind, no accidents!

THE CHIEF CONSERVATOR[ softly with satisfaction]:Honourable Minister can depend upon me. I have much experience in these matters.

MINISTER: I knew it was all nonsense about there being no tigers. I will issue a press statement to the contrary. Pug marks have been seen all over the place, tiger shit, that sort of thing. Please make all arrangements. I must leave now. I have to address the Junior Ladies College; head of the Dutch delegation will be there to help us make this city the First AIDS Free City in India. I hope officials have more sense than last time, and don’t bring these fellows on to the stage and make us all shake hands with them. Idiots!

THE CHIEF CONSERVATOR[as MINISTER turns to leave] We must plan this meticulously. I want back ups, at least two more young tigers kept in reserve. Tap all zoos. [getting up] You all know what to do.

[As everyone leaves, Attenders rush in, remove the two end tables, table cloth, and several chairs. Only central table and three chairs are left. Finally the banner is turned back to front. It now reads: LADIES JUNIOR COLLEGE. The photos stay. Several girl students rush in and join the audience. THE PRINCIPAL ushers in THE MINISTER and JENEKA AHRENS, who take chairs, while Forest officials and SHYAMLAL, who stand at the back]

THE PRINCIPAL: Girls! We are privileged to welcome Ms Jeneka – Yeneka – Ahrens, Head of the Dutch Health Delegation to our state, and the Honourable Minister for Community Health and the Tiger Project, Shri Ramdhun Prasad! Stand up and give them a big hand!

[The girls comply, long and vigourously]

MINISTER: Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Miss Jeneka, Principal Sahiba, it is my pleasure to be in this most famous college, celebrating its centenary this year! I am particularly happy to see such bright faces in front, to whom Miss Jeneka and I will be talking about preventive health care.

ALL THE GIRLS[in a chorus] Tell us about the Tigers, Sir! Please, Sir, tell us about the Tigers, first, Sir!

[They all clap and keep repeating their request]

THE MINISTER: All right, all right, Ladies, we will take the Tigers first! I have to let you into a great secret! Are you ready? [He pauses dramatically]The Tigers have multiplied fastest in our State! We have more tigers roaming our forests than some other countries in the world![The girls clap enthusiastically, THE MINISTER signals for quiet]
If you will all turn around, you will see projected on the screen at the back the latest pictures, taken only last week, of the healthy state of our forests and the tigers![pointing straight ahead as girls crane their necks to look] See! What beautiful thick jungle! Full of green trees! I won’t name names but some foreign agents for their own purposes want to create a scare about our environment! There! See that Tiger – see how healthy he looks! The forest abounds…

SHILPA[cutting in loudly]: Sir! Sir! But at the bottom of the photo, Sir! It reads National Geographic Society, Cambodia 1962, Sir! It says Sir, 1962, Sir, Cambodia, Sir!

MINISTER[turning angrily to forest officials behind him]:Why have wrong photos been mixed up with my presentation? Who’s responsible?

BAHADUR SINGH [stoically] We always use this picture, Sir, to World Bank, European Union, very successfully, Sir. The problem is this big screen – in this you can read the lettering.

THE MINISTER: Well, a mix up. Never mind the pictures! Where are the plaster casts of pug marks? I want a ranger to pass these pug-mark casts around so the girls can see, and feel, how large is a tiger’s foot.

[A ranger runs forward, and distributes plaster casts among the girls]

THE MINISTER [continuing] Our Forest Officials know each tiger like his own child. All these pug-mark casts you hold in your hand are of several different tigers! How can I tell? Well, I can’t, I’m only a Minister! But our expert officials can tell, like scientists can tell the differences in our finger-prints!

PRATIMA: Sir! Sir! They are all of the same pug mark, Sir! Yes, Sir, I can tell, Sir. This third nail is chipped in every one of the casts in the same way, Sir! They are all of the same tiger, Sir!

[Several girls nod, and put up their hands]

THE MINISTER: Nonsense! Nonsense! Of course they look alike, tiger pug-marks will look alike, but you have to be an expert to know the difference. Let me see what the girls are saying, bring me one here! [A ranger rushes forward with a cast] Yes, yes, I see what you mean, but this is a crack in the plaster, not a chipped nail as you mistakenly said. Never mind, you will learn more as you grow older. Now where was I? Our forests abound with tigers and every form of wildlife because of the scientific environmental regeneration that has taken place since I became Minister. I will take no personal credit – I am only the force behind the movement – the credit goes to my colleagues here…
[stretches out his arms as if to embrace the officials standing at  the back] Now on the screen at the back you are being shown a stream in spate rushing down the Nallamalai Hills. See! What a sight! Go for a picnic there, but only with a teacher, we don’t want any of you clever children being drowned by accident!

HEERA: Sir! My father is a contractor, Sir, building food for work roads in the Nallamalai Hills, Sir. I spent three weeks there! There’s not a drop of water to drink, Sir! People are migrating, Sir!


THE MINISTER[with exasperated patience] My dear child, ours is a huge, huge country! Perhaps, in the tiny corner where your father is there might possibly be some… temporary… short supply, but elsewhere it is torrential, that’s the only way to describe it! Any other questions? If not, we will move on to the really important part of this programme – Community Health, Preventive Health Care – how all of you should take care of yourselves! Miss Jeneka… Miss Yeneka… Miss Jen-Jeneka is kindly here from Holland – that beautiful country, and she has given us a very generous grant for our health programme. Please, all of you, give her a great hand!

[The girls clap enthusiastically. JENEKA AHRENS gets up, and bows]

JENEKA AHRENS: Perhaps, I should say something now? I am indeed very happy to be with all of you young women, who carry the responsibility for your society on your young shoulders. Health as you know is of the greatest importance, for young women, for young mothers – as you will soon be – for everyone; so we in Holland are very happy to contribute to that. Thank you! [She sits down. The girls clap again]

THE MINISTER[seizing the initiative once again]: As Miss Jeneka – Yeneka has said, health is of the greatest importance. I have – my department has – eradicated several diseases, and ensured your safety. I have eradicated smallpox! I have eradicated polio! I have eradicated leprosy!

MADHU [helpfully]: There are several of them outside the College gates, Sir!

THE MINISTER [mystified] Who? What?

MADHU: Lepers, Sir! We have a big colony on the vacant plot outside the gates, Sir! They come to the gates when we leave, Sir! We give them money, everyday, Sir!

SEVERAL GIRLS [in chorus]: Oh! Yes, Sir! There are many. We even give them food, Sir!

THE MINISTER [turning round to Shyamlal] Why was I not told of this? Why am I not informed that they are right here? Shyamlal! You are in charge of my briefing notes!
[turning back to the students, and speaking very slowly]They may look like lepers, but let me assure you, they are not lepers. You are just starting college, naturally you do not know. It takes a highly qualified doctor to tell the difference who is a leper and who is not. But let us talk of prevention. I am here, my government is here, to promote preventive health care. The greatest danger lies in HIV-AIDS! The government must take responsibility for free supply of condoms, absolutely free, and easily available – all western countries are following this policy. I fought with the Finance Minister, I can tell, at one point offered my resignation, but then, the President himself intervened, and so…Shyamlal show everyone samples of the latest model of sturdy condoms, designed by me and manufactured locally!

[SHYAMLAL runs forward with an open cardboard carton of condoms]

THE PRINCIPAL [intervening firmly]:This may not be the appropriate moment, Honourable Minister. This is a girls college, Sir! Almost none of them is married. Our parents would object.

THE MINISTER [recovering]: Yes, I see, what you mean! Yes, of course, condoms should be shown only to married couples. Make a note, Shyamlal!

APARNA [loudly from the front row] Then, that’s only a family planning measure, Sir. It would have nothing to do with curbing AIDS, Sir! Of course, the couple could use them for chance extra-marital relations, Sir!

THE PRINCIPAL: Aparna! I shall speak to you later!

APARNA [defiantly] Why shouldn’t we be shown condoms, Ma’am? Oh! But these are meant for boys? [holds up one she takes out of the carton before Shyamlal can stop her]
What use are these to us? Oh! Sirrr, are we supposed to help boys put them on, Sir? How’s that to be done, Sir?

[ Many girls clap, some start chanting: ‘How’s that to be done, Sir?’Much giggling from the back]

THE PRINCIPAL[standing up and  speaking very loudly] Honourble Minister! Ms Jeneka Ahrens! Our students, staff, and I thank you for so graciously agreeing to come to our college, despite several pressures on you time, and at such short notice, to be with us in our centenary year. We have all learned a great deal from both of you today, and I am sure the ladies of this college will treasure this memory for years to come. Girls! Please stand for the National Anthem!


[The girls join enthusiastically in singing ‘Jana Gana Mana’]


END OF PLAY






No comments:

Post a Comment